Nkuringo Youth Initiative Programme (NYIP)
Community empowerment for sustainable Tourism
Nkuringo Walking Safaris works in partnership with the NYIP as a means to bring about sustainable development in communities through Skills development programmes.
The youth are the majority of Uganda's population estimated to about 56%. There are number of issues that affect the youth which include:- high levels of school dropouts, forced marriages, HIV/AIDS, unemployment, child labour among others. These need attention as the youth are our pillars for tomorrow.
The Nkuringo Youth Initiative Programme brings together youth those in schools and out of school and provides social training in local skills development and sensitisation programmes as the only way to evoke self empowerment and sustainability in rural development.
The two major areas of concentration have the following programmes:-
1. Local skills development
- poultry and farming skills
- saving skills
- hand craft designs and promotions
- music, dance and drama
- training in guiding, ranger activities and camp management skills
2. Sensitisation programmes
- importance of female child education
- HIV/AIDS causes, prevention, treatment and counselling
- primary health care (breastfeeding, cleanliness and personal hygiene, immunisation and sanitation)
- importance of hard work and a saving culture
- environmental conservation
How to get involved
There are various ways you can be part and party of the NYIP activities.
1. Make a donation
Please note that donations are not limited to money but also involve scholastic materials towards the construction of the community school.
2. Be a volunteer
Come join a team of young energetic people. All professions are welcome, there are many activities and your presence makes a difference.
3. Nkuringo Gorilla Camp
Your stay at the Gorilla Camp can help improve the livelihoods of the youth who are offered training opportunities at the venue through NYIP.
4. Take a walk or trek the Virunga with Nkuringo Walking Safaris
The guides and porters are members of the NYIP project.
Contact us for more details: email@example.com